WHAT DEPRESSION IS:
• Depression is long-term feelings of sadness, feeling guilty without reason, and feelings of low self-worth.
• Depression can make you feel hopeless and helpless.
• When you’re depressed, you don’t enjoy things you once did.
• When you’re depressed, you may be tearful and easily irritated.
• Depression can cause you to sleep too much or too little.
• Depression can affect your appetite, causing you to eat too much or too little.
• Depression is an illness, just like diabetes is an illness.
• Depression is treatable with antidepressant medications and counseling.
AND WHAT IT ISN’T!
• Depression isn’t feeling down for a day or two.
• Depression isn’t being weak or lazy.
• When you’re depressed, you can’t just “pull yourself up by your bootstraps.”